Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Loosening up with caricature studies


So, I am currently working on some t-shirt designs for a Star Wars themed contest, and decided to start with one of my favorite characters to draw, as well as one of my favorite characters, period:  Grand Moff Tarkin, as portrayed by the late, great Peter Cushing.  His is such a striking face with such heavy definitions and almost exaggerated features, it begs to be drawn.  The drawing on the bottom was my first attempt, really done to block out the features and learn their relations to each other.  Drawing the top one, I felt a little looser with the lines and think it is a much smoother piece overall.  I love doing multiple studies of the same subject like this to really work on freeing up my hand and becoming looser, and at the same time, more sure of my pencil strokes.  I hope to have some more Tarkin studies or even a finished ink drawing to post soon.

No comments: